The Department of Defense 2020.3 call is open until October 22 with a critical blackout period beginning September 23. Unlike typical SBIR Phase 1 opportunities, the Air Force/AFWERX program uses Phase 1 as a customer discovery tool. In three solicitations, this SBIR program will award up to $50,000 for customer discovery helping small businesses connect with Air Force as a customer.
This open call for innovations invites small business to bring the ‘right’ idea fitting emerging needs of the Air Force. But with broad opportunity comes confusion on which technologies are a fit. Visit the AFWERX website to explore focus areas. Listed are some of the following including:
- Sensor Technology
- Technology that reduces sustainment costs and improves readiness including AR/VR, advanced manufacturing, automation/robotics
- Advanced power technology
- Biological and chemical sensing technology
To be competitive, the Air Force is seeking applied and integrated technology to fit their unique mission goals. What are these goals? How do you show fit?
- Consider strategic goals outlined by Air Force Chief of Staff, Gen. Charles Q Brown, Jr.
- Read about current research efforts at Air Force Research Labs.
- Join one of the AFWERX Challenge events to discover needs and colleagues.
The last tip is to apply. This is NOT your typical, lengthy SBIR application. With a 5-page technical proposal and 15 slide pitch deck, the Air Force is hacking the process to encourage more participation. Reach to CTC and let us connect you with free services and expertise to help you explore the Air Force/AFWERX SBIR opportunity.